in South Africa 2016
Christmas markets are always a great places to enjoy the spirit of the season. Many arts and crafts markets in South Africa can be explored during the festive season.
Christmas is celebrated by the majority of the people living in South Africa and during the this season, visiting markets and buying local gifts and thus supporting artisans and crafters of the community is growing in popularity all over the country. And as Christmas is in summer, many of the markets are set in stunning surroundings.
The markets we mention below offer a wide range of products from skilfully designed arts and crafts to tantalising culinary treats. Some markets are day markets, while others offer special evening opening hours and 'moonlight experiences' and some even attract visitor with additional Christmas carol concerts.
'The Watershed' market at Cape Town's V&A Waterfront
The markets below are listed per province for easy referral. Please go to the various markets' websites to find out more about their location, dates and contacts.
Great Christmas Markets in South Africa
- Port Elizabeth: Christmas in the Home. 1 - 6 December 2016. More info. Gift and craft market at the Boardwalk Hotel. With trendy decor, gourmet foods and exquisitely handcrafted gifts. More info.
- Bathurst: The Bathurst Country Affair. 5 November 2016. Plenty of goodies to fill your christmas stockings. Arts and Crafts, local delicatessen (pineapple treats), live music, great activities and so much more. More info.
- Gonubie: Christmas Fair. 19 - 21 December 2016 Annual Christmas Fair at the Gonubie Sportsgrounds where local traders will sell a variety of local produce. Visit their Facebook page: Gonubie Christmas fair for updates and more info.
- Bloemfontein: Westdene Park Market. 5 November 2016. With locally produced arts and crafts. More info. And make sure to bookmark also the Boeremark at Langhovenpark. Saturdays from 6h00 until 14h00. See more info on their Facebook page.
- Kroonstad: Krismismark. 29 November - 3 December 2016. More on Facebook: Kroonheuwel Krismismark
- Bethlehem: Kersmark. December 2016 TBC
- Bryanston: Moonlight Markets. 2016 Dates TBC. Traditional organic and natural market with arts and crafts, foods and plenty of activities to enjoy and lovely live music. More info
- Paulshof: German Christmas Market at the German Country Club. November 2016 TBC! From 10h00 until 17h00. With German Christmas crafts, biscuits, stollen, hand-made toys and so much more. More info.
- Irene: Irene Market at Smuts House Museum, Irene. More than 250 stalls with crafts, antiquities, food and flowers. A regular Saturdays market, that is great for buying Christmas gifts in November and December too. More info.
- Pretoria: Transoranje Market. 25 November - 4 December 2016 at the Tshwane Event Centre. With more than 300 stalls. More info.
- Irene: Kamers vol Geskenke. 28 November - 4 December 2016. 'Treasure trove of handcrafted creativity' at the Open Windows School in Southdowns. More info.
- Vanderbijlpark: Rotary Christmas Market in Stonehaven on Vaal. 4, 11, 18 December 2016. Traditional christmas market, organised by the local Rotary Club. With Carols by Candlelight on 18 December 2016 at Stonehaven. More info.
- Durban: I Heart Market. Saturday 3, 10, 17 December 2016 at Moses Mabhida Stadium on the Imbizo Lawns from 9h00 to 14h00. Support local designers and artisans, with food stalls. See their Facebook page: Iheartmarket
- Hillcrest: Shongweni Farmers & Crafts Annual Market. 15 - 18 December 2016, Carols by Candlelight and market with live music and a showcase of handcrafted items and delicious food. From 9h00 until 16h00. More info
- Durban: Essenwood market on every Saturday from 9h00 until 14h00. More info.
- Hillcrest: KZN Christmas Festival. 13 - 17 December 2016 at City Hill Church in 1 Greenmeadow Lane. Over 200 stalls with food court and kids entertainment. Foodie Nights on 15 and 16 December 2016. More info.
- Haenertsburg: Christmas Fair: 28 - 29 November 2016. With yummy food and arts and crafts stalls and goodies to make your perfect gift. More info.
- White River: Uplands Xmas Market. 5 November 2016 at the Barnyard at Casterbridge. With food stalls, craft stalls, tea garden and live entertainment with
the South African band Watershed. See Facebook: Uplands Christmas Market
- Graskop: Christmas Market TBC. Crafters Market and Bazaar Bakes and Food Stalls. 10h00 until 17h00. More info
- Kimberly: Kuier Kuier Kersmark. 22 - 26 November 2016 in Bridge Street. With handmade gifts and cookies, bake sale and crafts tables.
- Kuruman: Arms vol Geskenke. TBC. This Northern Cape Christmas market will have handmade arts and crafts, food stalls and gifts. Check out their Facebook page under the event name.
- Rustenburg: Rainhill Farm Market. 1, 8, 15 December 2016. Annual festive season market on Rainhill Farm. More info.
- Cape Town: Christmas Lightshows at the V&A Waterfront. 9 and 17 December 2016. Enjoy the festive atmosphere and visit the Watershed where more than 150 stalls offer African arts and crafts and offer locally-made products and gifts galore. More info.
- Cape Town: Summer Market at the Company Gardens. TBC 11 - 27 December 2016. With the many stalls it is easy to find the perfect Christmas gift for your loved ones. Food stalls and live music in the afternoons and evenings.
- Edgemead: Christmas Market. 8 - 22 December 2016 at the Community Hall. Indoor market with more than 200 of the Western Cape's finest crafters displaying their wares. Daily from 10h00 until 20h00. More info.
- Plettenberg: Boere-Brocante. TBC. December 2016 at Ouland Royale. Support the Plettenberg community and local non-profit organisations when buying some gifts from their unique collectables and handcrafted products. More info.
- Stellenbosch: Kamera vol Geskenke. 1 - 6 November 2016 at Anura Vineyards. More info.
Find many more Cape Town Markets listed here
Image on Christmas markets page: Shutterstock and own image
Back to Living in South Africa Homepage